- Dec 26 – Jan 1724 Films/23 Days, Films are listed in order of appearance. All films are screening in 35mm prints, most of which come from archival sources.
Could 2013 be the year of the Hitch? A new making-of-PSYCHO biopic stars Anthony Hopkins. The British Film Institute has undertaken a major restoration of Hitchcock’s early silent films, set to tour the U.S. in 2013. At the Belcourt, we close out this year and start the new one with a 23-day/24-film retrospective that surveys Hitchcock’s mammoth post-silent era.
The series starts on December 26 with VERTIGO—deemed the “Greatest Film of All Time” by the BFI’s long-running Sight & Sound poll (recently unseating CITIZEN KANE). Next up, more Jimmy Stewart in ROPE, REAR WINDOW and THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH, three of Hitchcock’s most loved films, made mid-career. From there, we’ll jump all the way back to BLACKMAIL and some of the key films from the early sound/British era. Then, we chart a path through the work informed by lead actors and muses— i.e., Joan Fontaine, Madeleine Carroll, Farley Granger, Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman, Tippi Hedren. Weekend filmgoers can spend nearly every Saturday and Sunday exploring Hitchcock’s work with an actor or within an era, and without a single repeat (great if you’re from out of town).
(Download a summary schedule here of films, dates and showtimes.)
"Alfred Hitchcock: Master of Suspense" is underwritten by Mimi & Scott Manzler and Nina & H.G. Webb.
A Full Series Pass and ticket 6-Packs offer deep savings. Individual tickets can be purchased at regular prices. 6-Pack: $39 ($30 Belcourt member) Purchase 6-Pack Full Series Pass: $138 ($115 Belcourt member) Purchase Series Pass Hitchcock Brunch & Talk + VERTIGO – Sat, Dec 29, 11:00am. Individual ticket: $20 ($15 Belcourt member) With 6-Pack ticket(s): $10 With Full Series Pass: FREE Purchase Tickets
Special thanks to Dennis Chong, Paul Ginsburg (Universal Pictures), Marilee Womack (Warner Bros), Chris Chouinard (Park Circus), Mary Tallungan (Disney), Eric di Bernardo (Rialto Pictures), Judy Nicaud (Paramount), Gary Palmucci (Kino), Tom Wills.
Series programmed by Toby Leonard. Assistance on program notes by Zack Hall and Jason Shawhan.
- Wed-Sat, Dec 26-29 & Tue, Jan 1Dismissed upon release but later heralded as one Hitchcock’s finest, this intricate web of obsession and deceit tells the tale of police detective Scottie Ferguson (James Stewart), who’sMore...
- Thu-Sat, Dec 27-29 & Tue, Jan 1While vacationing in Morocco, Dr. Ben McKenna (James Stewart) and his wife Jo (Doris Day), a retired world-famous singer, become embroiled in an assassination plot that takes them all the way from MaMore...
- Fri-Sat, Dec 28-29 & Tue, Jan 1Magazine photographer (James Stewart) is immobilized in a chair after an accident. He spends his convalescence monitoring his neighbors in the adjacent apartment building and soon suspects that one oMore...
- Sat, Dec 29 & Mon-Tue, Dec 31-Jan 1This allegory of the murder case of Leopold and Loeb is a legendary feat of immediacy and shock. With Jimmy Stewart as the intrepid schoolteacher invited to the aftermath of a murder, and Farley GranMore...
- Sun, Dec 30 & Thu, Jan 3Early Sound Double Feature: Two Films, One Ticket. BLACKMAIL: Hitchcock’s first film shot in sound. A frivolous flirtation leads to attempted rape and murder in self-defense in Hitchcock&rsqMore...
- Sun, Dec 30 & Wed, Jan 2A string of escapist thrillers in the 1930s solidified Hitchcock’s reputation, and this tale of international espionage is chief among them and often cited as one of the best thrillers of the dMore...
- Sun, Dec 30 & Wed, Jan 2When a soldier (John Gielgud) returns home from World War I to find his death faked by a government agency, the Intelligence Service forces him to Switzerland in a mission to kill an enemy agent&mdMore...
- Sun, Dec 30 & Wed-Thu, Jan 2-3Traveling aboard a transcontinental train, young heiress Iris Henderson (Margaret Lockwood) becomes alarmed when an elderly woman suddenly vanishes. Inexplicably, all the other passengers deny havingMore...
- Mon, Dec 31 & Wed-Thu, Jan 2-3When Bruno Anthony (Robert Walker) meets tennis star Guy Haines (Farley Granger) on a train, he believes he’s stumbled upon the perfect accomplice for his murderous scheme, an exchange of killiMore...
- Fri-Sat, Jan 4-5 & Mon, Jan 7Summoned to Hollywood by producer David O. Selznick, Hitchcock's first picture in the U.S. is a classic of mood and atmosphere, set in England but filmed in California. Manderley is the de WinterMore...
- Fri-Sat, Jan 4-5 & Tue, Jan 8Shy and beautiful Lina (Joan Fontaine, in an Oscar-winning performance) falls head over heels for handsome gambler Johnnie (Cary Grant)—but after the couple elopes, she begins to fear for her lMore...
- Sat, Jan 5 & Tue, Jan 8“Here, hold them…” Suspected in a series of gem heists in the French Riviera, reformed thief John Robie (Cary Grant) sets out to catch the real culprit with the help of pampered heMore...
- Sat, Jan 5 & Wed-Thu, Jan 9-10Cary Grant stars as Roger O. Thornhill, a hapless New York advertising executive who’s mistaken for a government agent by a group of foreign spies and is forced to go on the lam with an AmericaMore...
- Sun, Jan 6 & Wed-Thu, Jan 9-10When Uncle Charlie (Joseph Cotten) comes to visit the Newton family, his niece (Teresa Wright) begins to suspect that he may in fact be the “Merry Widow Murderer.” Often regarded as HitchMore...
- Fri-Thu, Jan 11-17The film that turned the American shower into a place of primal terror, it’s also a fine example of constructivist editing and dynamite performances (star Anthony Perkins in particular). A womaMore...
- Fri, Jan 11 & Sun-Mon, Jan 13-14The trouble with Harry is that he’s dead. When Harry’s corpse turns up on the hillside outside a small Vermont town, all the townsfolk are quick to take responsibility for his murder andMore...
- Fri-Sat, Jan 11-12 & Mon, Jan 14Musician Manny Balestrero (Henry Fonda) is falsely accused of armed robbery and forced to prove his innocence against the mounds of damning evidence to the contrary in one of Hitchcock’s few fiMore...
- Sat, Jan 12, Tue, Jan 15 & Thu, Jan 17Wealthy San Francisco socialite Melanie Daniels (Tippi Hedren) pursues potential boyfriend Mitch Brenner (Rod Taylor) to a small Northern California town where she finds that it’s winged mayhemMore...
- Sat, Jan 12, Tue, Jan 15 & Thu, Jan 17Tippi Hedren returns in the title role as a habitual thief who uses her looks to gain the confidence of playboy Mark (Sean Connery). When he realizes her intent is to embezzle from his company, his pMore...
- Sun, Jan 13 & Wed-Thu, Jan 16-17A series of bizarre murders seem to point to ex-squadron leader (Jon Finch) as the likely perpetrator. The actual killer, however, is an outwardly charming fruit merchant (Barry Foster), whose strangMore...
- Sun, Jan 13 & Wed-Thu, Jan 16-17Hired by a wealthy woman to trace the whereabouts of a missing nephew and heir to a fortune, a phony psychic (Barbara Harris) teams with her scheming cabbie boyfriend (Bruce Dern) to track the boy. TMore...
- Sat, January 19 at 4:40 pmMAKEUP SCREENING! The new head of Green Manors mental asylum, Dr. Edwardes (Gregory Peck), is not who he claims to be. After being exposed as a fraud, the amnesiac imposter takes flight with the beaMore...
- Sun, January 20 at 4:40 pmMAKEUP SCREENING! Alcoholic party girl Alicia (Ingrid Bergman) is torn between the love she has for Devlin (Cary Grant) and the love felt for her by Sebastian (Claude Rains). For country, for socialMore...
|LIFE ITSELF |
|48 Hour Film Project: Group A|
|48 Hour Film Project: Group B |
|48 Hour Film Project: Group C|
|Women Survivors Alliance Presents DECODING ANNIE PARKER |
|48 Hour Film Project: Group D |
|Hard Soil - The Muddy Roots of American Music|
|TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES |
|Olde Worlde Theatre presents "The Pied Piper" |
|EMPIRE OF THE SUN |
|TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES |
|EMPIRE OF THE SUN |