The Belcourt's education and engagement work—both in our theatre and throughout the community—is based on these core principles:
- Film unifies us, reaching us on an emotional level that inspires conversation on challenging subjects and connection across boundaries
- Film history is art history, worthy of appreciation, preservation and celebration.
- Visual literacy is more critical than ever before and vital in helping students critically interpret the images that surround them daily on screens of all sizes.
At the Belcourt
Great films inspire conversations. Throughout each month, the Belcourt’s education and engagement program offers the audience opportunities to engage with our films on a deeper level. In our theatre, we regularly host filmmaker Q&As, post-screening discussions with critics, academics and professional experts, and panel discussion with community partners. In the newly renovated Belcourt, we'll also offer seminars, film club meetings, and classes for adults and youth in our new Manzler/Webb Screening Room and our Jackson Education and Engagement Space. The Belcourt also hosts regular private field trip screenings for youth and adults.
In the Community
With our Mobile Movie Theatre, we present a wide variety of art house films to youth and adults in after-school programs and community centers throughout Davidson County and beyond. Since its inception in 2011, the Belcourt’s education and engagement program has provided after-school programming with the Nashville After Zone Alliance (NAZA), a program administered by Nashville Public Library to provide academic tutoring and enrichment to middle school students. Through NAZA, we provide monthly programs in more than a dozen locations from East Nashville to Bordeaux to Madison to South Nashville. We work with multiple youth programs at the Oasis Center and provide monthly film screenings at Room in the Inn. Our community screenings always include interactive discussions or activities.
Mobile Movie Theatre
Recognizing that some audiences can’t always make it to us, the Belcourt’s Mobile Movie Theatre can bring the theatre experience in most any location. From classrooms to school libraries to conference tables to modular buildings to cafeterias—we’re flexible, and the theatre is where the movies are!
Resources for Educators
The Belcourt wants to work with educators! We believe film is an ideal teaching tool for every imaginable subject, and we love to explore with students the pure art of cinema.
We offer private field trips for student groups large and small, and tours of the theater for smaller groups. Our Mobile Movie Theatre can also be requested for visits to your location.
To connect with us, please complete this form to tell us about your programming needs, and we'll be back in touch soon.
Ongoing and past education partners/participants include:
- Casa Azafrán
- Conexión Américas
- Mayor’s Scholars Academy
- Nashville International Center for Empowerment (NICE)
- Nashville After Zone Alliance (NAZA)
- PENCIL Foundation
- PENCIL Academic & Career Enrichment Program (PACE)
- Antioch High School NICE Program
- Apollo Middle School PACE Program
- Bailey Middle School NAZA Program
- Donelson Middle School Y-CAP Program
- DuPont-Tyler Middle School Y-CAP Program
- Glencliff High School NICE Program
- Glencliff High School Bass Adult ESL Program
- Hartman Park Community Center NAZA Program
- John Early Magnet Middle School Y-CAP Program
- Madison Middle School Y-CAP Program
- Madison Middle School Conexión Américas: Estudiantes Learning Diversion Program
- Martha O’Bryan Center THRIVE Program
- McMurray Middle School Refugee and Immigrant Students Empowered (RISE) Program
- Wright Middle School PACE Program
- Wright Middle School Conexión Américas: Estudiantes Learning Diversion Program
- Metro Nashville Public Schools Transitions Program
- Metro Parks DisABILITIES Program
- Oasis Center Just Us Program
- Oasis Center Reaching Excellence As Leaders (REAL) Program
- Oasis Center Your Story Continues Summer Program
- Currey-Ingram Academy
- Hillsboro High School
- Hume-Fogg High School
- Martin Luther King Jr. High School
- Riverdale High School
- University School of Nashville
- Room in the Inn
- Martha O’Bryan Center Adult Education Program
- JT Moore Middle School
- Temple Preschool
- Waves, Inc.